Saturday, January 28, 2017

Bible Review: New English Bible

New English Bible. 1970/1990. Illustrated by Horace Knowles. 973 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning of creation, when God made heaven and earth, the earth was without form and void, with darkness over the face of the abyss, and a mighty wind that swept over the surface of the waters.

I had read a handful of books in the New English Bible through the years, but, I'd never read this translation through in its entirety.

A few years ago, I got a fun little edition--though very green--that was illustrated by Horace Knowles.

Using the 5 Day Bible Reading Program, I decided to see if I could read the Bible in one month. I decided to tackle two to three weeks per day. This made sense to me though to others it might seem very crazy. What I liked best was the chronological arrangement of the readings--particularly the Old Testament.

I am very glad to have read this translation once. I'm not sure if I'll ever feel the need to read this particular translation over again--that is, regularly. I like more traditional translations better. But sometimes a new translation is needed to change up your routine a bit.

Quotes:

  • I will sing to the LORD as long as I live, all my life I will sing psalms to my God. Psalm 104:33
  • May my meditation please the LORD, as I show my joy in him! Psalm 104:34
  • Goodness and love unfailing, these will follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long. Psalm 23:6
  • How blest are those who know their need of God; the kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
  • How blest are the sorrowful; they shall find consolation.
  • How blest are those of gentle spirit; they shall have the earth for their possession. 
  • How blest are those who hunger and thirst to see right prevail; they shall be satisfied.
  • How blest are those who show mercy; mercy shall be shown to them.
  • How blest are those whose hearts are pure; they shall see God.
  • How blest are the peacemakers; God shall call them his sons.
  • How blest are those who have suffered persecution for the cause of right; the kingdom of Heaven is theirs. Matthew 5:3-10
  • Come to me, all whose work is hard, whose load is heavy; and I will give you relief. Bend your necks to my yoke, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble-hearted; and your souls will find relief. For my yoke is good to bear, my load is light. Matthew 11:28-30
  • God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, that everyone who has faith in him may not die but have eternal life. It was not to judge the world that God sent his Son into the world, but that through him the world might be saved. John 3:16-17



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: