Sunday, May 11, 2014

Highlights Week #2

This week's top ten:
Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound! They shall walk, O Lord, in the light of Thy countenance. In Thy name shall they rejoice all the day, and in Thy righteousness shall they be exalted. Psalms 89:15-16 (KJ21)
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live; I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. My meditation of Him shall be sweet; I will be glad in the Lord. Psalm 104:33-34 (KJ21)
The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me; Thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever; forsake not the works of Thine own hands. Psalm 138:8 (KJ21)
Teach me Thy way, O Lord; I will walk in Thy truth; unite my heart to fear Thy name. I will praise Thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart, and I will glorify Thy name for evermore. Psalm 86:11-12 (KJ21)
Now may our God and Father himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you, and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints. 1 Thessalonians 3:11-13 (ESV)
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (ESV)
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 (ESV)
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30 (ESV)
You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16 (ESV)
She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins. Matthew 1:21 (ESV)
Quotes:
Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ. And if you want one verse for practical application, do not take a verse on mercy or humility. Consider why Jesus said he came: “The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:28). Matthew teaches that you and I have sinned. We have separated ourselves from God. And now we are under his just judgment. Every single one of us. But Christ has come in love to take the punishment for our sins on himself and to rise in victory over death. And then he has come to us, calling us to repent and believe, to trust in him, to turn from our sins, and to have a new life in him. You cannot understand Jesus finally without understanding something of yourself. ~ Mark Dever, The Message of the New Testament
There is an absolute authority within the Church, and that authority is Jesus Christ. ~ A.W. Tozer, Reclaiming Christianity
The New Testament says that the most important question that we must face is that of Jesus Christ; for, it tells us, our life in this world here and now, the whole meaning of death, and indeed our life throughout eternity depends entirely and solely upon our answer to this question: “Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?” The New Testament does not hesitate to say that. Listen to the apostle Peter saying it unequivocally in one of his first recorded sermons: “There is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)—this name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Now that is a dogmatic assertion, I agree, but there is no more dogmatic book in the world than the New Testament. It never comes and says, “You have read many other books and been interested in their theories—now read me and see what you make of me. Perhaps you will find me more interesting than the others.” No; rather, it makes a definite pronouncement. Here, it tells us, is the only way for men and women to know God and to be reconciled to Him. Here is the only way whereby they can be delivered from the thralldom and the serfdom of life in this world and from its sin and its evil. Here is the only way whereby they can be delivered forever from the fear of death and the grave. And here, says the New Testament, is the one and only way in which men and women can avoid spending eternity in a state of misery and wretchedness and torment. That is its statement, nothing less. “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him” (John 3:36). It is one or the other; everything is dependent upon this person. ~ Martyn Lloyd-Jones, The Heart of the Gospel
It is not faith that saves, but faith in Jesus Christ.... It is not, strictly speaking, even faith in Christ that saves, but Christ that saves through faith. The saving power resides exclusively, not in the act of faith or the attitude of faith or in the nature of faith, but in the object of faith. ~ B.B. Warfield
As a child I often was amazed by the ability of a member of my grandparents' generation to suck a single peppermint for a half-hour, while mine was crunched to pieces within minutes! We need to learn to suck the flavors from God's Word, slowly savoring God's promises, metaphorically placing them "under our tongue," allowing them to release their pleasurable blessings over the whole day. We need to meditate on them if we are to find them redirecting our thinking and filling us with an expectation that the Lord will keep His word. Only then will we be able to say, "How sweet are your words to my taste" (Ps. 119:103, NIV). ~ Sinclair Ferguson, In Christ Alone

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: