Wednesday, August 14, 2013

D.L. Moody on the Bible

From Pleasure and Profit from Bible Study by D.L. Moody:

I have seen questions that will help one to get good out of every verse and passage of Scripture, They may be used in family worship, or in studying the Sabbath School lesson, or for prayer meeting, or in private reading. It would be a good thing if questions like these were pasted in the front of every Bible: 

1. What persons have I read about, and what have I learned about them? 
2. What places have I read about, and what have I read about them? If the place is not mentioned, can I find out where it is? Do I know its position on the map? 
3. Does the passage refer to any particular time in the history of the children of Israel, or of some leading character? 
4. Can I tell from memory what I have just been reading? 
5. Are there any parallel passages or texts that throw light on this passage? 
6. Have I read anything about God the Father? or about Jesus Christ? or about the Holy Spirit? 
7. What have I read about myself? about man’s sinful nature? about the spiritual new nature? 
8. Is there any duty for me to observe? any example to follow? any promise to lay hold of? any exhortation for my guidance? any prayer that may echo? 
9. How is this Scripture profitable for doctrine? for reproof? for correction? for instruction in righteousness? 
10. Does it contain the gospel in type or in evidence? 
 11. What is the key verse of the chapter or passage? Can I repeat it from memory?

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: