Thursday, July 7, 2011

Book Review: Mine is the Night

Mine is the Night. Liz Curtis Higgs. 2011. Waterbrook. 464 pages.

The distant hoofbeats were growing louder. 

Set in 1746 in Scotland, Mine is the Night, the sequel to Here Burns My Candle, continues the story of Lady Marjory Kerr and her daughter-in-law Elisabeth Kerr. Both are widows who supported the Jacobite cause--Bonnie Prince Charlie. Both have lost all for that cause--and are paying the price for it. Lady Kerr has lost her fortune and estate on top of losing her two sons.

The novel opens with both women traveling to Selkirk where they hope to begin again. Lady Kerr has a cousin, Anne, in Selkirk. Anne has never had much, and she's hesitant to open her home to her distant relatives--relatives who have had little use for her when they were wealthy and had it all. But when she sees Elisabeth's determination to work--and work hard--for her keep, Anne's welcome becomes genuine. And Elisabeth is as good as her word. She seeks employment almost immediately, and she finds it with a local tailor, Michael Dalgliesh. But she has a feeling that this job won't be a permanent one, and what will she do when he no longer needs her help?

The arrival of Lord (Jack) Buchanan may just be the answer to everyone's prayers. For in establishing his house (or estate) he hires many, many, many workers from Selkirk. Men and women to be his servants. Elisabeth seeks a job too. She is hoping to be hired to sew dresses for all the women he's hired. An audience with Lord Buchanan isn't immediate, but she finds favor with his housekeeper, Mrs. Pringle. And she's given a chance to prove herself. Elisabeth confides in Mrs. Pringle about her Jacobite past, and, in doing so earns her respect. She's happy to recommend her to Lord Buchanan when he arrives.

She's hired...and so it begins. This journey of transition. As two women mourn the loss of their old lives, and face the future wholly trusting in the Lord to provide. It's a novel of friendship, love, faith, and hope. It's historical fiction at its best. And the romance? Well, it's swoon-worthy! Lord Buchanan is a giddy-making hero that I just loved and adored. He's a real keeper!!! And Elisabeth isn't the only woman being given a second chance at love...

I loved Mine is the Night. I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. I loved the setting. I loved the history. I loved the storytelling. I loved the characters and their romances. It was SUCH a satisfying read.

Here Burns My Candle and Mine is the Night are novels retelling the story of Ruth. The first novel acts as prologue and sets the stage for Mine is the Night. The second novel follows more closely the story of Ruth and Boaz and Naomi. Mine is the Night is just wonderful. Ever since hearing Alistair Begg's wonderful-wonderful series on Ruth (God of the Ordinary), I'll admit that I tend to imagine Boaz with a Scottish accent. (I believe I first heard the series eight or nine years ago? I was in college, I know. You CAN download the series for free, just follow the link.) So this Scottish setting for Ruth was a DREAM for me. It really couldn't have been any better for me. It was just a perfect, perfect match for me.  I can't recommend this one enough!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Laura Frantz said...

Becky, I so agree. The word "satisfying" sums it up so very well. This is my favorite Liz book thus far. She is so gifted and brings Scotland to life so well you feel you're living there:) MITN is my favorite historical this year, maybe even the last one, too! Bless you for bringing great fiction to your blog.