Saturday, December 18, 2010

Fall into Reading 2010 Challenge Completed



Did you finish reading all the books on your fall reading list? If not, why not?

I listed nine books for this challenge. I read fourteen. However, I made *some* substitutions! I did NOT read The Deep Things of God: How the Trinity Changes Everything by Fred Sanders OR Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery by Eric Metaxas.

1. In Every Heartbeat by Kim Vogel Sawyer
2. Love's First Bloom by Delia Parr
3. A Hope Undaunted by Julie Lessman
4. Dark Sons. Nikki Grimes.
5. God's Mighty Acts in Creation by Starr Meade
7. A Girl Named Mister by Nikki Grimes
8. Embers of Love by Tracie Peterson
9. The Evangelicals: What They Believe, Where They Are, And Their Politics. Christopher Catherwood.
10. While We're Far Apart. Lynn Austin.
11. Snow Day. Billy Coffey.
12. The Road to Paris. Nikki Grimes.
13. What Good is God? In Search of A Faith That Matters. Philip Yancey.
14. Cottonwood Whispers. Jennifer Erin Valent.    

I read ten fiction, four nonfiction.

Did you stick to your original goals or did you change your list as you went along?

I added a few books as I went along.

What was your favorite book that you read this fall? Least favorite? Why?

My favorite book was, without a doubt, The Evangelicals: What They Believe, Where They Are, And Their Politics. Christopher Catherwood. It was an AMAZING book. I can't recommend it enough!!! When it comes to fiction, I loved While We're Far Apart by Lynn Austin.

My least favorite book was definitely Snow Day by Billy Coffey. In my review, I mention just why this one rubbed me the wrong way. It made me cry--but probably not in the way intended. It made me so incredibly thankful that my father was not like the main character. (He was meant to be likable. Also wise.) 

Did you discover a new author or genre this fall? 

I "discovered" the verse novels of Nikki Grimes. I wasn't aware that she was writing faith-friendly YA verse novels. The two I read were inspired by two biblical characters--Ishmael and Mary.

Wrap-up questions.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

Thank you for giving Snow Day a try, Becky. I hope my next novel better suits your tastes.

Ruth said...

Hey, I just happened to find you. I like the title of your blog, and so I thought I would check you out. It looks like you are a blog I want to follow--so I am. Here's my blog if you're interested. I participated in the fall reading challenge too!

http://mydevotionalthoughts.blogspot.com/