Saturday, January 30, 2010

Faith 'n' Fiction Saturday: Why Read

Amy's question this week is very simple: why read?!

I have a problem understanding people who don't read. I just don't get why a person wouldn't want to read. It makes me sad, really. Even though most of the time it's just a matter of choice. People in my life choosing not to read. I don't understand that choice. But then again, it works both ways. I'm sure there are people in my life who can't understand, can't even begin to fathom, why I choose to read...so much.

I find so much joy, so much pleasure, so much satisfaction in books. I love the act of reading, of getting lost in a book, of becoming absorbed in a book, of sinking into another time and place, of living other lives in a way.

I can read to find myself, to see myself. (Anything But Typical comes to mind as does The Blue Castle.)

I can read to learn about others. Amy did mention this, but I think it's very true and worth repeating, reading does make you more empathetic. It makes you be "the other" even if it's only for a few hours. You put yourself in someone else's shoes. It can open your eyes, make you more compassionate, make you more aware of the world, of the people around you. It can make you realize that it's not all about you. That the world is so much bigger than you and your problems.

Reading brings with it so much emotion. It can make you sad or happy. Books can bring laughter or tears. A book can make you grin from ear to ear at times.

When you really connect with a person, a character, a story, it stays with you. Books are friends. Because the characters are very real to you.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I know lots of people who say "what's the point of reading?" I think many people just cannot still themselves long enough to read something.

Annette said...

I have a family member that read a lot in college and high school, now she rarely reads. She would rather watch television, or sew, or some other hobby.
Some people feel that if you are reading, then you are being lazy, because reading to them is a non- important thing to do.
My husband hates to read and hates books. No one in his family of 8 siblings read, neither did his parents. His grandparents did not read. I don't think there were any books in his home when he was growing up.
If reading can be instilled in a child when they are young, then I feel a lifetime joy of reading can continue.