Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Question of the Week #17

Welcome to the seventeenth edition of the Question of the Week! Please consider sending me your ideas for future questions :)

What's your worship style? Do you prefer hymns or praise songs and choruses? Or perhaps a blend of the two? Do you have a favorite hymn or two that uplifts you? How about praise songs? Do you have any favorites?

My favorite hymn is without a doubt Because He Lives.

This is a song that I just clung to when my dear-dear friend (grandfather-figure), Bobby died back in the fall of 2005. And it's a song that proved itself even more when a year later, I could hold Bobby's grandson in my arms.

Other favorites would include What A Friend We Have In Jesus. And Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus. (I'm not a fan of midi hymn files.)

I also love, love, love Leaning On the Everlasting Arms, I'll Fly Away, and Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

I do love praise songs. Mostly. But it is easier for me to tire of them than hymns. A few weeks in a row of singing Lord I Lift Your Name On High doesn't thrill me all that much. I tend to like modern praise--artists like Chris Tomlin, David Crowder Band, Delirious, etc. But these are songs that aren't in my church at least.

Chris Tomlin's Indescribable

Third Day's My Hope Is You



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

4 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Becky, I prefer the more modern praise type hymns. They put the words up on the screen so I am very ashamed to say that I don't even know what the names of the various songs are! Isn't that pathetic.

Sherrylinn said...

I prefer a mix of all music. I'll post my favorites at my blog.

hopeinbrazil said...

Hi Becky, I like both hymns and choruses, but like you I tend to prefer hymns because they don't get "old" as fast as more popular tunes. I guess it's because they are packed with theology and not trite phrases.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely much more into modern praise than hymns. The church I attend does a complete contemporary worship band, with drums, guitars (electric and acoustic), keyboards, saxophones, etc. Our praise leader actual has some records out and I compare him to Jeremy Camp all the time (one of my favorites). I think, at least for myself, I love being in an atmosphere that invites non-believers in to our place of worship, to enjoy our praise songs and learn about the Lord through modern music. Many a person has been saved at our church just from walking in the door and staying awhile.

Hymns are beautiful and wonderful to sing as well, but for me, not on a regular basis.

Some of my favorite praise songs are Mighty to Save, anything by Chris Tomlin/Third Day/Mercy Me, Jesus Paid It All, Freedom Song, and Adore. I could probably think of 100 more, but those are regulars at our services.