Sunday, December 28, 2008

Sunday Salon: Why Operation Actually/Goals For The Week


This will be my first week participating in The Sunday Salon here at Operation Actually Read Bible. And I thought I'd take a few minutes to explain the name and mission of the blog. If you're anything like me--and if you're a believer--you might have more intentions for reading the bible than actual follow-through. I talk about how I need to read this or that...or do this or that...or whatever. But when it comes down to it, I make one excuse after another to put it off another day and another day and another day. Hence the start of OPERATION ACTUALLY read Bible. Not just talk about it...not just make plans to do it...but to actually do it, to act on my 'good' intentions, to commit to living a more disciplined life. (If you're not a believer, I'm sure you can still relate...it could just as easily be Operation Actually.... Lose Weight/Exercise More/Change Lifestyle/Clean House More/Yell Less/Be More Patient...whatever. We all have areas in our lives where we need more discipline.

When I started my blog, I didn't think of it as a challenge...but as the weeks went on...I came to see it as something that would be/could be a perpetual challenge that others could join in on. This isn't your typical challenge-blog, however. I didn't start the blog with the challenge in mind. I started the blog as my project, my baby. It just happened to grow into a challenge that others became interested in. If you'd like to join, visit this post and leave a comment.

My goals for Operation Actually? To be both a bookish blog and a non-bookish blog. On the one hand it's a place for keeping track of my own Bible reading and my reading in Christian fiction and Christian nonfiction. But on the other hand, it's a place for me to journal, to be myself, to share my thoughts, ideas, etc. with others. I'd like to post every day. But if that isn't possible--isn't realistic--then I'm hoping for at least three or four posts a week. I'd like it to be consistent enough that I can build a readership here.

This week's goals. I'd love to finish up the Word of Promise Next Generation Audio Bible. I've got 5 books left--four of which are short. 1, 2, 3 John, Jude, and Revelation. Of course, with it still being a holiday-week (New Year's Eve/New Years) it might not all get done this week. My sister is still on vacation--she's a first grade teacher--and I love spending time with her when I can. But I'm aiming to finish that up in the next week.

3 comments:

Dani In NC said...

I can totally sympathize. I am a believer who doesn't read the Bible nearly as much as I should.

My kids got the book of John from the Word of Promise set for Christmas. I'll have to give it a listen.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this! I, too, always think about reading my Bible more than I actually read it. I'm making it a goal of mine to read it much more often in the coming year.

I'm going to add your blog to my feed reader so I can follow along.

Maree Jones said...

Sounds like a great idea - I was just commenting on another blog that I like to use my blog as a record as well as a place to share my thoughts and ideas. Hope it all goes well for you!