Saturday, January 17, 2015

Focus on Psalm 34:3, Psalm 34:8

Two of my January memory verses come from Psalm 34. Though I've chosen to memorize them in the ESV, I thought it would be interesting to see how other versions of the Bible translate these verses. After all, almost more important than memorization is meditation and understanding. And reading in various translations can help with that!

ESV
  • Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together! (Psalm 34:3)
  • Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! (Psalm 34:8)
HCSB
  • Proclaim Yahweh's greatness with me; let us exalt His name together. 
  • Taste and see that the LORD is good. How happy is the man who takes refuge in Him!
MEV
  • Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together.
  • Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.
Living Bible
  • Let us praise the Lord together and exalt his name.
  • Oh, put God to the test and see how kind he is! See for yourself the way his mercies shower down on all who trust in him. 
NLT
  • Come, let us tell of the LORD's greatness; let us exalt his name together.
  • Taste and see that the LORD is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!
NASB

  • O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together.
  • O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
NIV
  • Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together.
  • Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. 

NKJV

  • Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together.
  • Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

KJV

  • O magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together.
  • O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

Complete Jewish Bible

  • Proclaim with me the greatness of ADONAI; let us exalt his name together.
  • Taste, and see that ADONAI is good. How blessed are those who take refuge in him!

1599 Geneva Bible

  • Praise ye the Lord with me, and let us magnify his Name together.
  • Taste ye and see, how gracious the Lord is: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. 

Common English Bible

  • Magnify the LORD with me! Together let us lift his name up high!
  • Taste and see how good the LORD is! The one who takes refuge in him is truly happy!

CEV

  • Honor the LORD with me! Celebrate his great name.
  • Discover for yourself that the LORD is kind. Come to him for protection, and you will be glad. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: