Saturday, October 26, 2013

Treasury of Truth: Give Thanks Edition

In November, I hope you'll join me in reading Psalms. I'd love to have you join me in reading all 150 chapters. But, I also know that the number may overwhelm or intimidate those not in the habit of Bible reading. So I've got an alternate plan in place: I've chosen thirty--one for each day of November. If you're just in for the 30 psalms, here is the list:

Psalms 1, 19, 23, 25, 27, 32, 34, 37, 42, 46, 47, 51, 57, 63, 66, 71, 84, 91, 95, 98, 100, 103, 107, 119, 121, 130, 138, 139, 145, 148.

If you'd like to read the whole book of Psalms, there are a few methods I can recommend. The thirty day plan involves reading five chapters a day. If you read ten chapters a day, you can finish the book in fifteen days. (If you just read Psalms on weekdays, that's three weeks.)
There is a certain sense in which God's sovereignty should influence our attitude toward prayer, at least with respect to adoration. If anything, our understanding of God's sovereignty should provoke us to an intense prayer life of thanksgiving. Because of such knowledge, we should see that every benefit, every good and perfect gift, is an expression of the abundance of His grace. The more we understand God's sovereignty, the more our prayers will be filled with thanksgiving. ~ R.C. Sproul, Does Prayer Change Things
I have often said that prayer and praise are like the breathing in and out of air and make up that spiritual respiration by which the inner life is instrumentally supported. We take in an inspiration of heavenly air as we pray; we breathe it out again in praise unto God from whom it came. If, then, we would be healthy in spirit, let us be abundant in thanksgiving. Prayer, like the root of a tree, seeks for and finds nutriment; praise, like the fruit, renders a revenue to the owner of the vineyard. Prayer is for ourselves; praise is for God. Let us never be so selfish as to abound in the one and fail in the other. (Charles Spurgeon, The Practice of Praise, 93)
What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. (A.W. Tozer, Knowledge of the Holy, 1)
Faith is born and sustained by the Word of God, and out of faith grows the flower of joy. ~ John Piper, Desiring God, 127
How long should a person thank God for forgiving his sins? Is life long enough? Is time long enough? Is eternity long enough? How long should a man thank God for saving him from going down to hell? Would fifty years suffice? Oh, no, that would never do; the blessing is too great to all be sung of in a millennium. (Charles Spurgeon, Power in the Blood, 69)
Week One, November 1-9:
Psalms 1, 19, 23, 25, 27, 32, 34, 37, 42
or
Psalms 1-45
Extra Credit: Read Philippians 1

Week Two, November 10-16
Psalms 46, 47, 51, 57 63, 66, 71,
or
Psalms 46-80
Extra Credit: Read Philippians 2

Week Three, November 17-23
Psalms 84, 91, 95, 98, 100, 103, 107,
or
Psalms 81-115
Extra Credit: Read Philippians 3

Week Four, November 24-30
Psalms 119, 121, 130, 138, 139, 145, 148
or
Psalms 116-150
Extra Credit: Read Philippians 4

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Monica said...

Thanks for stopping by my Sunday Salon! I was at a family reunion on Saturday so I have not caught up on my blog reading so I missed the November challenge! YES! I will be joining in! I will post about it on my blog too!