Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book Review: The Measure of Katie Calloway

The Measure of Katie Calloway. Serena B. Miller. 2011. Revell. 320 pages. [Source: Library]

I loved, loved, loved Serena B. Miller's A Promise to Love. I've been meaning to go back and read her first book, The Measure of Katie Calloway, for almost a year now! I'm not sure I loved it quite as much. But it was close! Serena Miller is a GREAT writer! I just loved this historical romance.

The Measure of Katie Calloway is set in a lumber camp in Michigan a few years after the Civil War (1867-1868). Katie Calloway and her younger brother, Ned, are escaping from Katie's abusive husband. He returned home from the War even more bitter and abusive. The day she makes her escape is the day she realizes that her husband has set a trap to kill her. She knows that if she stays, she dies. The two make it to Michigan and she happens to find work as a cook at a lumber camp. She arrives when the boss, Robert Foster, is hiring. He is desperate for a cook--a good cook would be even better! She passes his test--baking an apple pie--and prepares for her new life. But life won't be easy and uncomplicated!

I loved this one. I loved the characters. I love Katie and Robert and Ned. I love some of the men from the camp as well. Even the mostly cranky ones. This book is rich in historical detail. It does not spend much time with courting or wooing. After all, Robert knows only what he's been told. She is a widow. Her married status is very much on her mind. Katie knows that she is not free to start a relationship with anyone.

Everything felt natural, nothing felt forced which is exactly what I'm looking for when it comes to Christian fiction.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: