Monday, January 28, 2013

Book Review: Becoming Lucy (2009)

Becoming Lucy (Winds Across the Prairie #1) Martha Rogers. 2009. 304 pages.

I enjoyed Martha Rogers' Becoming Lucy. While I didn't "love" it, I enjoyed spending time with the heroine, Lucinda, as she adapts to her new life in Oklahoma Territory. I enjoyed getting to know Lucy's family (aunt, uncle, cousins, etc.), and the romance was nice. I thought the book's focus on friendship was good. In some ways we see Lucy interacting more with her friends than with her love interest, Jake. But her feelings for the hero can't be denied.

I didn't exactly like the one dimensional villain in the story. If a villain isn't worthy of being an actual character with substance beyond a one sentence description supplying the alleged motive, then they might as well not be there. I thought the hero's past added enough conflict to this one, Lucy's life didn't need to be in danger from cover to cover.

It was a quick read.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: