Saturday, March 3, 2012

Book Review: Holy Spirit Power

Holy Spirit Power. Charles Spurgeon. 1996. Whitaker House. 170 pages.

I read four Charles Spurgeon books in February. And I loved--in some cases, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED--each one of them. Though Power in the Blood and Grace: God's Unmerited Favor are the two I'd rate my favorite and my best. I don't know if it's all that surprising, but just reading a little Spurgeon makes me NEED or WANT more Spurgeon. Unfortunately, I'm finding it a little tricky to find more of his works in print. Still, I'll keep reading and reviewing whatever I can get my hands on!!!

So my newest Spurgeon read is Holy Spirit Power. And I did love it. I think Christians should be required to read at least one or two books on the Holy Spirit. I really do. (Though I might frame that so they read the right books on the Holy Spirit. I've also read/reviewed R.C. Sproul's The Mystery of the Holy Spirit.)

This one has six "chapters" or six essays:

  • The Comforter
  • The Power of the Holy Ghost
  • The Holy Spirit, the Great Teacher
  • The Withering Work of the Spirit
  • The Covenant Promise of the Spirit
  • Honey in the Mouth

I found all but the last chapter informative and relevant and wonderful. (Honey in the Mouth, to be honest, just CONFUSED me greatly.) I find Spurgeon's style to be lovely: very straightforward, very reader-friendly. He wanted to be understood by the masses, by you and me.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: