Sunday, January 22, 2012

Professor Horner Update #3 (January 15-21)


This is my third week using Professor Horner's Bible Reading System. If you're using this system I'd love to hear from you! I'd like to know what you like or don't like about it! I have definitely modified it some, and may need to make additional modifications in the coming week. I just haven't decided exactly how much needs to change. Except for Acts--I'm sticking to the one chapter per day--I've finished the New Testament. And I'm well on my way to completing the NT letters a second time. I would love to find a way to get to the OT minor prophets quicker--without having to wait until I've finished the longer ones like Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea. So many of these could be read in one sitting.

This week I completed:

  • Exodus in KJV
  • Ruth in KJV
  • 1 Samuel in KJV
  • Jeremiah in KJV
  • Lamentations in KJV
  • Luke in KJV
  • John in KJV
  • Romans in KJV
  • Colossians in KJV
  • 1 Thessalonians in KJV
  • 2 Thessalonians in KJV
  • 1 Timothy in KJV
  • 2 Timothy in KJV
  • Titus in KJV
  • Philemon in KJV
  • Hebrews in KJV
  • James in KJV
  • 1 Peter in KJV

This week I read:

  • 1 Corinthians 1-4
  • Ecclesiastes 4-10
  • Psalms 81-120
  • Proverbs 15-21
  • Acts 15-21


Key Verses this week:
Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. The LORD executeth righteousness and judgment for all that are oppressed. He made known his ways unto Moses, his acts unto the children of Israel. The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever. He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust. As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more. But the mercy of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children; to such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them. The LORD has prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all. (Psalm 103:1-19)

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. (Jeremiah 31:33-34)

For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee. (Psalm 84:10-12)

Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou has delivered my soul from the lowest hell. (Psalm 86:11-13)

O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also. The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land. O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. (Psalm 95:1-7)

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations. (Psalm 100)

Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. (Jeremiah 17:14)

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy. and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)

Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established (Proverbs 16:3)

The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe. (Proverbs 18:10)

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2)

Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, the Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. (2 Timothy 2:19)

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:28-39)

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one. (John 10:27-30)

Songs on my mind this week:

Never Been a Greater Love, Aaron Shust




Greater is He, Aaron Shust



Sing of My Redeemer, Aaron Shust



Jesus, Friend of Sinners, Casting Crowns




© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Soozie4Him said...

Becky, thanks for posting again about your experience with Professor Horner's Bible reading plan. I'm doing it too, but I'm not "keeping up". I have my 10 post-it flags which are numbered, and I move them to the inside of the pages (towards the spine, then to the outside of the pages when I've read them. I'm not reading 10 chapters a day, but my goal is to BE in God's Word every day.

I'm also enjoying taking in the Bible with TWO senses. On the "harder" books for me, like Job and Isaiah, and Joshua, I use my iPad and the YouVersion app (WONDERFUL app - I highly recommend it!) to read the text to me in ESV while I'm reading in my paper ESV Study Bible. I agree with Prof Horner about using a paper Bible. The YouVersion app has audio for many of the versions. Sometimes I read more than one chapter of a book, but then I don't get to all 10 bookmarks, but that's okay.

I like this plan because there isn't a date attached to the readings, and I just keep on plugging away. And I'm also writing down 1-2 sentences or key verses for each chapter. And I write down when there's a "connection" between one chapter I'm reading in one book and a chapter in another book. I love when that happens!

So I guess I'm not REALLY following the plan, because he says to read quickly and not to meditate or study. But I'm doing it the way it works for me. Tim Challies mentioned that he was writing something down about each chapter and since I'm a journal keeper (not a blogger), I'm finding that helpful.

Please email me if you want to chat further! Use email address below, not gmail one.

Thanks for all your posts, Becky!

Susan
moot96 AT aol DOT com