Saturday, October 9, 2010

Book Review: I Will Rejoice

I Will Rejoice. Karma Wilson. Illustrated by Amy June Bates. 2007. Zondervan. 32 pages.

This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118: 24

I Will Rejoice celebrates Psalm 118:24. Wilson imagines how children might rejoice in the LORD morning to night.

I will rejoice in the early light
with a good morning kiss
and a hug so tight.
I'll dress myself up,
sit down in my seat,
and give thanks to the LORD
for the food that I eat.

and

I will rejoice as I run and I play.
Thank you, dear God,
for this beautiful day!
I'll sit at the table and eat up my lunch.
(I'll save a few bites for my teddy to munch.)
Every simple activity--from meal time to play time to nap time and bed time is an opportunity for little ones to be thankful, to rejoice in God. To praise Him, to love Him, to think of Him.

I enjoyed this one very much. I liked how she includes the Scriptural refrain throughout her text. But I also like how she makes it her own. How she expands this theme of rejoicing. How she adapts it for a young audience. How she shows that rejoicing in God is more than just attending a worship service on Sunday. How you can delight in God wherever you are. You're never too small to have a heart for God.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: