Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Book Review: Abigail


Abigail. Jill Eileen Smith. 2010. February 2010. Revell. 368 pages.

Rumor has it David is in the area not far from here.

I've always been drawn to Old Testament History. Especially to the books 1 and 2 Samuel. So when I learned that Jill Eileen Smith was writing novels about David's wives, I was excited--very excited! And I was looking forward to Abigail even more than Michal, the first in the series!

Abigail did not disappoint. Not at all. I was drawn to her story immediately. The biblical story of Abigail begins in 1 Samuel 25. We learn that she was both discerning and beautiful. (25:3) Smith's Abigail is that--and more. Smith has, of course, done much more with the story than that. She has given Abigail a family, a back story, complete with doubts and fears and worries. What was it like to be married to Nabal? What was it like to be married to David? What was it like to be married to a man with other wives? What were those relationships with the other women like? How difficult would it be to love a man so completely and yet have only a part of him?

This novel spans a handful of years--from David's life on the run and in exile to his being crowned king in Judah.

I definitely loved this one and would recommend it!

Available February 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Annette said...

Have you read the book by Francine Rivers Lineage of Grace? I am reading this book now and I'm reading the story of Bathsheba and David. I was reminded by these books you've just posted on Michal and Abigail. I can't wait to read them as well.