Monday, August 10, 2009

Book Review: Lady of Milkweed Manor


Klassen, Julie. 2009. Lady of Milkweed Manor. Bethany House. 412 pages.

Twenty-year-old Charlotte Lamb laid her finest gowns into the trunk, pausing to feel the silken weight of the sky blue ball gown, her favorite--a gift from dear Aunt Tilney.

Charlotte Lamb has disgraced herself and her family, but her life is far from over. When we first meet our heroine, Charlotte, she is on her way to a place of refuge--a lying-in home for unwed mothers. Who's the father of her unborn child? Who's the man responsible for ruining her? That's what her family would like to know. But having stubbornly refused to name names, Charlotte finds herself abandoned by her family.

Dr. Taylor never expected to see Charlotte Lamb--now calling herself Charlotte Smith--at a place like this. His work with the manor--the home for unwed mothers--is important to him. But to meet a young lady from his own past...some one he admired so...it's a bit of a shock to say the least. And poor Charlotte, she's embarrassed to be recognized. Dr. Taylor was a young apprentice, an assistant, to Dr. Webb, her family's doctor. They spent time together--enjoyed each other's company. Both wanted more. But it was not to be...

It would be hard to say who is more surprised at this unexpected meeting.

It's a complicated story--much more than I was expecting--and I loved it. This wasn't a flimsy Regency romance. Here is substance. It was a great read for me--very hard to put down--and I loved it very much.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

A Cooking Bookworm said...

I have this on my paperbackswap wishlist and have read many mixed reviews.

I'm 3/4 of the way through The Apothecary's Daughter and am enjoying that one. I feel like I'm reading/watching a Jane Austen movie. If Lady of Milkweed Manor is anything like this one, I think I'll enjoy it, too.