Monday, June 8, 2009

Blogoversary Today!


Today, I am celebrating the blogoversary of Operation Actually Read Bible. If you're a new (or newish) visitor, these details (below) let you know a little bit more about me. If you're a regular reader, I want to thank you for your support. I also want to thank all the participants of the Operation Actually challenge. I am so excited you wanted to take part in my little project. I also want to thank every one who has left me a comment and/or followed this little old blog. Your comments mean so much to me!

Last year, on my very first post, I wrote:
"I know--rationally speaking--that I NEED to read the Bible...that I NEED to study and read and pray. But it's not a part of my daily routine. Hence why I'm challenging myself to ACTUALLY read the Bible instead of just talking about how I need to start one day soon."
In December of 2008, in my very first Sunday Salon post, I wrote about why I named the blog "Operation Actually..."

If you're anything like me--and if you're a believer--you might have more intentions for reading the bible than actual follow-through. I talk about how I need to read this or that...or do this or that...or whatever. But when it comes down to it, I make one excuse after another to put it off another day and another day and another day. Hence the start of OPERATION ACTUALLY read Bible. Not just talk about it...not just make plans to do it...but to actually do it, to act on my 'good' intentions, to commit to living a more disciplined life.

When I started my blog, I didn't think of it as a challenge...but as the weeks went on...I came to see it as something that would be/could be a perpetual challenge that others could join in on. This isn't your typical challenge-blog, however. I didn't start the blog with the challenge in mind. I started the blog as my project, my baby. It just happened to grow into a challenge that others became interested in. If you'd like to join, visit this post and leave a comment.
And in my "About Me" post, I write,

I want this blog to be a reflection of me, an extension of myself. That doesn't mean it's a me-me-me blog. But it does mean that it is okay if a post isn't explicitly bookish. I want to capture my life--the books I read, the music I listen to, the sermons and podcasts I listen to, the movies I watch--particularly if they're clean/Christian.

The books I read. I want to read the Bible. That's obvious I know. But true. This blog is primarily there to motivate me to actually read the Bible.

This means that every week I need to write a post with my progress reading the Bible. This isn't about me bragging saying look I was "good" this week. It's about me being accountable to someone. Even if that someone is an online stranger who has stumbled across my blog.

I also want the blog to have reviews of the Christian books I read--all ages. Fiction. Nonfiction.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Dina said...

Congratulations on your first year. Wishing you success and continued reading in the second year.
It is all very impressive to see how you are devoted to the Bible reading.

sally906 said...

Congratulations - thanks for your inspiration. I may not always post responses - but always reading :)